Wednesday, April 4, 2007

On of my greatest joys...

As I puruse my blogs I realize I tend to blog primarily about pithy things that are important to me at the moment and a few broader topics about life and philosophy. However, I have a tendency to neglect one of my greatest joys in my life in my random musings - my wife, Sonya.

Most of you that have known me for years know that Sonya and I have had a rollercoaster of a relationship for the past 16 1/2 years. We have highs and lows (often extreme ones) and butt heads of several varrying topics. Such is the nature of marriage. We have had times where we couldn't have gone on without each other, and other times where we thought we couldn't go on with each other. Through it all, though, she has always been there when I needed her. She has been the love of my life from the first moment I saw her on the marching band field that fateful day in early September 1989.

There are a few of you out there in MySpaceland that have never met Sonya, and thus (through my neglect) don't know much about her. Here's a bit about my wonderful wife, as I see her.

I first saw her when she joined the Dondero High School marching band in the color guard the first day of school in 1989. I was a fat, insecure band geek who used humor to disarm would-be assailants (not much has changed there). I saw this new face on the field and the first thing that captivated me were her eyes - her big beautiful brown eyes. Her soft curly brown hair glistening with hints of red in the sun, revealing hints of her Irish heritage absolutely mesmerized me. I immediately quoted Wayne Campbell, saying, "She will be mine. Oh, yes - she WILL be mine." Little did I know at the time how WOEFULLY inappropriate that particular phrase was, not having met her yet or understanding the depths of her hippie-feminist ways.

Sonya and I immediately shared chemistry. No, litterally - we were in the same chemistry class. We began talking, she'd help me with my homework (I'm a scientific and mathematical dunce), and I eventually worked up the nerve to ask her on a date. Exactly 16 years, 6 months, 3 weeks, 1 day, 1 hour, and 22 minutes ago.

I'll spare you the play-by-play of the rest of our courtship, though I'm sure I could turn it into something with the length and sappyness of a Danielle Steele novel. Suffice it to say, it was full of frustration, exhilleration, contemplation, confrontaion, rectification, excommunication, reconcilliation, desperation, rejuvination, condemnation, and redemption.

Sonya is a strong-willed, stubborn vegetarian hippie with a propencity for self-righteous platitudes. She is also a warm, loving, considerate, intelligent, caring woman who will fiercly defend those she loves. She is incredibly creative and clever, feverishly dedicated to any task, job, or cause she attaches herself to, and unquestionably loyal to those she loves. She is a wonderful mother, a spectacular woman, and as beautiful today as when I first layed eyes on her.

She is a wonderful wife, and more importantly, my best friend.

We have been through hell together and returned intact. We have consolled each other through all levels of grief, rejoiced in each others' triumphs, and shared some life-altering and spiritual moments.

She's not perfect. Neither am I. Maybe that's why we need each other. Maybe that's why we love each other. Maybe that's why I feel the need to say all of this in the first place.

Sonya, I love you with every fiber of my being. Until the last petal falls from the last flower on Earth...

...and forever after.

No comments: